Do you have experience that others are interested in, like online marketing, graphic design or photography, or enjoy writing? If you do, why not start your own blog? There are a number of reasons why starting your own blog is a great idea, and if you do it’s an effective way to help teach others wanting to learn about what you’re interested in.
Before getting started, you should always create a project list and identify all of the tasks before launching your new blog. I typically use “Things” (a mac application) to manage projects, but you could do this simply by writing down on a piece of paper all of the items you need to complete before getting started. To help, I have put together a simple task list to follow during your blog project.
10 must-haves when starting your own blog:
- What is the topic of your blog?
- What will the name of your blog be?
- Is your domain name available?
- What blogging solution will you use? (WordPress, Blogger, Drupal, etc.)
- Will your blogging solution have a mobile application to compose from? (this is important to consider!)
- Do you need a hosting plan?
- Will you need to hire a consultant to do your design?
- Post schedule – it’s always a good idea to determine how often you can write, and how you will manage your time effectively.
- Will you add advertisements to generate revenue? (Google ads or third-party)
- How will you drive traffic to your new blog?
If you are able to cross off all of the above, the only thing left on your list is to launch! Good luck.